Friday, July 12, 2013

Airplanes, King's College, and other Knicknacks



Hey all!
So, I’ve finally began my adventure in London!
Starting yesterday, I boarded a 9:40 plane to Boston, which didn’t take long so I just listened to music on the flight. After we got to Boston’s Logan airport, we had a 5 hour layover. So we had lunch at Sbarro’s , then on to the CCSA administrator to check what departure gate we were supposed to be at. After that, we just kinda chilled at our gate; I charged my stuff, played games on our computers, etc.
At 6:40, we boarded the plane to London, but didn’t leave till about 7 pm. That’s when the fun started…and, by fun, I mean sleep depravity. I even took a sleeping pill with our dinner... and got knocked out for maybe 30 minutes. So I watched Pride and Prejudice and started the new season of The Office. After that, I drifted in and out for most of the flight- oh, yay.
            Finally, around 6:45 am (London time; US time 1:45 am), we landed in London! We got off, went through customs, and spent like 15 minutes trying to find my bag (I’m fairly certain it passed me twice before I realized it was mine). We got out, had to wait another half hour for everyone else to get done, then we came to our dorms. The weather was 16 degrees Celsius…which is 70 or so Fahrenheit. And it felt so good and clean and COOL!
            After that, we checked in at our dorms, which are fairly nice, to be honest. We got our keys about an hour after arriving and everybody went to get their dorms unpacked and maybe get some sleep before our mandatory reception. I had to get my internet accessible to my computer (I got in on my iPod), so I walked over and they were having one of our walking tours. I thought, “Well, why not just get it done now?” So I went and did the tour. It’s really nice! We have a lot of eateries around us (Pizza, Italian, Indian, etc.) as well as plenty of grocery stores (Tesco!) and laundry cleaners. Needless to say, I think we’re set. We haven’t headed into Central London yet as I think we are saving that for tomorrow on the tour bus.
            Tonight, we had a welcome reception as well, basically, a chance to see your classmates and teacher. We got these cool little name badges that have our class symbol on it (see below)!


 Isn’t that neat? Sorry, the little things surprise me. After that, me and some other girls relaxed outside in the garden area in the middle of the dorms and then went to Tesco for some snacks/needs.
   Right now, my favorite parts are how beautiful yet citified the area is. I can't wait to see London tomorrow and, possibly, the Dr. Who store and a pub!
 As always, I am missing my family, friends, and AJ especially. I want to see him, but also absolutely adore this place so far. I’m thinking this trip will change me- again.
            I’ll update you tomorrow!
Thanks for reading,
Renee


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like everything was pretty smooth! The weather here was nice today too - hope it stays that way in London and in Cincy. Enjoy all the sights and keep posting. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete