Sunday, July 14, 2013

King's Cross, the Tube, and Pub Crawls

Hey, everyone! It's me again, Renee!
    Sorry for not updating yesterday... I'll explain later. So, this weekend was definitely crazy for me. I did stuff I wasn't expecting I would ever do. Starting Saturday, we had our orientation that basically reiterated the stuff we learned at school- be careful, watch your stuff, and don't go anywhere alone. Although, we did learn what to do with broken stuff in our rooms and things like that.
    After that, we did a bus tour of Central London so we had an idea of where we were going when we visited the main city. We learned that we are living in a wealthy part of the area- places where many actors/actresses have lived/live and also, that the most expensive flat (apartment)was about 3 billion pounds. We only got out once, to see the Royal Albert Hall, dedicated to Prince Albert, a theatre/ Opera area. Across the street is this amazing statue that is super pretty! After that, we got stopped in traffic just in time to be able  to watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace! What a coincidence, huh? So cool!
   After that, we got off at Covent Garden and walked right into a flash mob/proposal scene. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. After that, we walked around and these buildings are just beautiful. I love the architecture in London. We went to Bella Italia and had a pizza, which was really good for only 10 pounds. It was super yummy and there was a lady there with this kid who was adorable with his little british accent. After that, we fought with the tube (first timers) and made our way to Hyde Park, the largest park in London! We were only there for an hour, looking at the Rose Garden. We intend to go back and bike as well as see the whole park (if possible). Plus... they have a Mr. Darcy statue in the likeness of Colin Firth from the 1995 adaptation of Pride & Prejudice in the Serpentine lake that I want to see!
    After that, we headed home to relax and set up plans for dinner, to meet at 7 outside our dorm. Didn't happen. Me and another girl decided to go on a 12 pound pub crawl (which I've never done in my life) and it was really fun. My friend lost her bag buckle, so we left to find it while the other girls were still there. I guess they thought we left them behind, because we didn't find them when we came back (yes, in the middle of London at night) and went to the last club. they found us there, fortunately, and it was a dancing club. I mostly danced with the girls and it was a crap load of fun, because I don't normally dance. I felt so confident with them but not like a fool. We left around 1 am our time and had trouble getting home. The thing about London's night buses is they terminate at points because they are behind schedule. So twice we got terminated, the final time a mile plus away from our dorms. We had some walking, then finally called a cab. We finally got home at 3 am, frustrated, tired, and filled with alcohol and no food  (I was still sober!). After working out the cab stuff, we all pretty much went up to our rooms and fell asleep. I stayed up till 4:30 am putting pictures on FB and talking to my wonderful fiance. I slept till 9 am this morning, teaching me that, with a certain amount of caffeine, I could potentially stay up all night, haha! Not really, though. I'm bad when I don't get sleep.
   I dragged myself out of bed at 9, had breakfast (which we get everyday here), and went to my dorm, then back to the main office for the BritRail verification walk. I'm  glad I did, because we ended up at King's Cross Station (where Harry Potter was filmed!!!) and took pictures at the Platform 9 3/4 trolley they installed and checked out the store afterwards (Pictures later, my advisor took a film and not a picture, but I'll be going again Thursday), which was pretty neat. I didn't buy anything, since I'm waiting to go on the studio tour. After that, we went to a neat store, had some frozen yogurt (yoo moo!), and came back to the dorms to get ready for CCSA's 30th Anniversary Tea.  I got all dolled up with a dress and wedge sandals.

After that, we went to the store to get some groceries and had some fiascos but that's part of learning the lay of the land. We got back safely and now I'm relaxing in my dorm, about to read HP and the Sorcerer's Stone for our first quiz tomorrow. So I'll fill you in again in the few days. Till then, "Keep Calm!"
Cheers,
Renee

Btw, LOVE YOU, GUYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment