Thursday, July 18, 2013

Classes, Quizzes, and the Globe!

Hey, guys! Sorry it's been a while. I got busy doing stuff lately, so I haven't gotten a chance to blog!
So, on Monday, after the tea party, we had our first class. I slept in some after getting up for breakfast with my friend, then got up and got ready for our class quiz. I stayed outside in the quad, because it's a lot warmer here than it normally is and our dorms don't have air conditioning. Class was pretty interesting, because it made me really think about what I had been reading and the symbolism and morals found in Harry Potter novels. After dinner, we finally visited the Creperie de Hampstead (about 15 minutes away) and I got a hazelnut crunch and cream crepe. It was so good and messy! I liked it so much, haha! After that, a few of us went to Wetherspoon's (a pub) at the O2 centre and had some drinks, which I found I liked (they are having a cider festival and it was really good)! After that, we left and went home and I got my shower and relaxed and talked to AJ.
  On Tuesday, I didn't have a field trip. So a number of girls and I decided to get our sightseeing done while we had a chance and it was a lot of fun! I didn't really know each of them, so it was fun getting to know them as well. First, we went to the Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker street. We ended up waiting a while to get in, but we finally got in. It was small, but amazing. Each room was very detailed, showing things he used in each story, props, and wax dolls showing the scenarios. His bedroom was particularly cool. I ended up taking a lot of pictures. After that, we got lunch at Bar Linda, where I had my first  Fish and chips and it was super good. The worst part there was that the lady tried to charge my classmates (2 of them) for bottled water when she never brought it to them and I had already tipped her. From there, we went to Buckingham Palace, which is so big, and played in the fountain there. It felt so nice, with all these girls I really liked, and I just really enjoyed myself there. We got some ice cream in the park, then went and took pictures at the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben as well as statues of Churchill and Nelson Mandela. After that, some girls broke off and went back and Kate and I went on to Millenium Bridge (in the Harry Potter film HBP) and came back to the dorms. I had dinner, then went with another girl to Macbeth at the Globe. We were late, but it was amazing, with exception of a few hiccups (no reason to mention them- they aren't worth ruining my good time). I loved the way the place looked- it was so beautiful!! The actors were great and the dancing afterwards was fun and the music beautiful. From there, we went home and finally relaxed.
   We had class again the next day at 9 am, so headed to bed a bit late. I was starting to feel sick and my day didn't start off so great. I had a runny nose and my wisdom teeth had been hurting, so I took two of my sleeping/pain pills the night before and was super drowsy during class the next day, unfortunately, although I did get my notes. I hate missing classes and being sleepy!!! It was really interesting, though, and i finally started to wake up. After class, we had lunch, went to King's cross, came back, and showered and had a nap. Afterwards, I went to dinner and felt so much better. We headed down to Kensington Park and walked around, which turned out to be a lot of fun. We took pictures at the Diana of Wales fountain (and w/ our feet in it), Kensington Palace, Peter Pan, and the Italian Gardens. I was feeling kind of lonely cause I felt a bit like they didn't want me around, but I think that's just me and I can't let it keep me from having fun. I went to bed a little early, because I had to be up early today. We don't get our quizzes back till next week and our papers won't be graded for a while, so I'm a little nervous. I don't think I've done that badly so far though.
   Today, we woke up early and had our walking tour. At first, it was really nice out, not warm at all. Every once in a while, it would get annoying, because someone who was slow would walk in front of me, which constantly drives me nuts and I didn't want to get lost. Otherwise, it was fun but long. We saw a lot of historic and film locations from Harry Potter during the walk. We saw the Entrance to Gringott's and the Ministry of Magic as well as the Millenium Bridge! After that, we had lunch at a pret a manger and just got sandwiches and fruit. From there, we kept walking and saw the Monument (which I didn't go up in b/c I wanted to save my energy- 311 steps!). Finally, we got back to King's Cross and headed back to the dorm. The weather got a bit hot but cooled down a bit after that. In the dorm's computer room, Kate and I relaxed in the AC computer room b/c of how sweaty we were then had dinner. After that, the girls and I talked in the courtyard after Lauren and I chased down one of the professors to see if we could possibly get in on the Stonehenge trip tomorrow if there's room. Since it was so nice, we relaxed outside for an hour, but then it got a bit cold. So now, I'm in my room, relaxing and enjoying the cool weather. Tomorrow, I hope to get to go to Stonehenge, but if not, I'm going to do laundry, finish my homework, read PA, and maybe bike in Hyde Park and possibly invest in a mobile phone here. This weekend, we have plans: shopping (the fashion here is somewhat cheap and amazingly pretty!), the pub (for dinner, since we don't get it free friday to Sun), and some relaxing and sightseeing. I'll post pictures soon!
Thanks for reading and talk soon, guys!
Renee

2 comments:

  1. You are a busy girl! Sounds like tons of fun so far despite a few bumps. We will have to go for crepes when you get home - they are so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great to me! And yes, I can't let those get me down!

      Delete